Mar 26, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor





I don't know if my mother saw Lassie Come Home at a theater in 1943 or '44. But I suspect that, as a 15- or 16-year-old, she probably did.

For my part, I don't think I've ever seen the film. I do, however, remember the first time I was aware of Elizabeth Taylor. I was about 11, watching the Oscars on the blonde wood cabinet TV in the living room. Butterfield 8 was the movie, and Liz was its star. My parents went to quite a few movies, and they sometimes took me with--if it was suitable for kids. Well Butterfield 8--the story of a call girl--wasn't. But something about how people were talking about it made me aware that it was risque, and adult. And intriguing.

But 50 years later, I haven't seen that one either. I need to schedule a Lassie Come Home/Butterfield 8 double feature.

(p.s. I'm glad to be back after a self-imposed break. All work and no play (and not enough movies) makes for a dull blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment