Aug 8, 2010

Baked Ham Sandwich



August 8, 1945: “Got out of show at 10:15. Went by Englewood Hi and talked a great deal. Then went to Tasty's and each had 2 Baked Ham sandwiches and Pepsi.” ---Dot

I've been thinking about that sandwich. Yesterday I had dinner at an Italian restaurant with Sis' daughter Nancy. On the menu was an entree with a long, five-word name in Italian. Nancy asked me if I could translate and I replied, “It's probably just a ham sandwich”.

So here's a recipe for a Baked Ham Sandwich. Of course, I can't say whether the result would be as tasty as the two Dot had at Tasty's 65 years ago today.
Baked Ham Sandwich (from cooks.com):
1 stick butter
2 tbsp. prepared mustard
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs. sliced or chipped ham
1 doz. poppy seed rolls (lg.)
1 1/2 lbs. sliced Swiss cheese

Mix the first 5 ingredients and cook for 5 minutes over medium high heat. Cut rolls; put ham, cheese, and approximately 1 tablespoon topping on each sandwich. Wrap individually in foil. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment